Saturday, February 05, 2011

Gaming and genealogy

Not necessarily related topics (no pun intended), but both of them have been on my mind a good bit lately. The former because...well, gaming takes up a lot of my waking moments, at least the ones that aren't absorbed by my family (which is most of them, really, but I try to sneak in some "me" time for the sake of my sanity).

The latter was yanked back to the front of my frazzled little brain by NBC's remarkable series "Who Do You Think You Are?" I don't give the Peacock much of my time, and less of my money (we own nothing made by GE), but this is a show I'm willing to make an exception for. If it were available on DVD, I'd already own the first season. It's both fascinating and inspirational to me to watch the celebs on the show fill in the blanks of their own family histories. It gets me up off my duff and looking at the empty branches of my own tree.

Most of those that I'm worrying over lately (and by "lately" I mean most of my adult life, since this bug bit me all those years ago) are centered on my dad's father, about whom I know almost nothing. Further along that side of the line I know even less. I need to get off my dead butt and do some of the legwork involved in the process, but that"s going to have to wait.

As is talking about games. I typed this whole thing with my thumbs on my phone and now it's time to call it a night.

No comments: