Monday, August 21, 2006

Okay, so maybe I have fallen off the face of the Earth

     I'm discovering that this whole fatherhood thing can take up buttloads of your time. It's a very rewarding time-sink, don't get me wrong...but it can keep you from being able to do other things you like to do sometimes. Blogging, for instance.
     Of course, a lot of things get in the way of blogging. Other writing and editing, for instance; I did a lot of editing for the upcoming PDF release of the Star Trek Roleplaying Game Player's Guide, for instance (and it's due out at the end of the month, if you're interested), and along the way compiled a rather extensive set of errata for that book. I also finished writing the Player's Guide Enterprise Update (with a good chunk of material provided by Don Mappin) in my copious unstructured free time...and that turned into a bit of a slog in places. Sometime down the road, assuming that Decipher doesn't go down in a blaze of glory you could see from Mars, I'll get to do it all again for the PDF release of the Narrator's Guide.
     None of this counts any of the original projects I'm discussing with Scott at Decipher, or Trek RPG things I'm working on for my own enjoyment . The things I do for the love of the game...¡ay caramba!
     It's been kind of eventful for me in other areas. One of my best friends is divorcing; another good friend recently got engaged. My daughter turned 8 months old. I've actually gotten to game a little bit, and have been invited back to another game that I used to be a part of before my father died. I've discovered that a couple of friends getting jobs in other towns hasn't completely ruled out the concept of them playing in a Star Trek RPG, if I can ever get off my lazy ass to get it together.
     Less happy news: My wife seems to have a heart condition. They seem to have ruled out a mechanical problem with her heart itself, so they're looking at blood chemistry (or they will be when she goes in for her blood work in a few days; they wanted to get it without anything extra, so they took her off all her medication except a low-dose aspirin for a few days to get her to a baseline state). Needless to say, this has not made me altogether calm and collected. I've done what I can to hold it together around her, but it's been a very nerve-wracking experience for me.
     It's not as grim as it sounds, of course; Tiff's feeling okay for the most part, and I have every confidence that her cardiologist (who comes well-recommended) has the situation well in hand. She's in good hands, and I believe that God's watching out for her. But I'm still terribly nervous about the whole situation.
     It's getting late, and it's been a long day. I guess I'll sign off now and see if I can get into this habit again in the days to come.

Current Tune: Star Trek -- "Free Minds" -- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

No comments: